As we journey toward healthy weight management, one meal, one mindful movement at a time, one thing that we must always consider is our core. What is my core reason for living a healthy lifestyle? How are my movements strengthening my physical core? What food and herb staples make up the core of my meals?
When my weight management clients begin our sessions together, we begin by looking at the meals they most enjoy eating. Next, we look at how they usually prepare those meals. Finally, we explore ways meals can be tweaked to make them more nourishing and flavorful.
This brings me to our Savory Shopping Tour. Below you will find my basic pantry makeover grocery list that you can use as a guideline to create your own. Keep in mind that our focus is to replace healthy pantry staples by “crowding out” MSG-laced sodium filled foods with no-salt-added options. We also want to bring your awareness to the hidden sugar found in most processed foods while avoiding refined grains.
My favorite organic grocery store is Whole Foods Market|Ponce de Leon Atlanta, GA and you can find most of the items on my list there. I highly recommend visiting the Whole Foods Market website and downloading coupons for your savory shopping trip. And if you really want to save Big, search for manufacturers coupons as well. You want to get the highest quality food at the most affordable price. That’s why I love Whole Foods Market; value matters.
- 4 lbs dried beans (pinto, white, black & lentils)
- 4 15-oz cans no-salt-added beans (kidney, pinto, black, garbanzo)
- 4 lbs whole grains (1 quinoa, 1 pearled barley, 2 long-grain brown rice)
- 2 lbs rice pasta of your choice
- 2 lbs rolled and/or steel-cut oats
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 14.5-oz cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 32-oz box low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 32-oz box organic unsweetened hemp milk
- 1 32-oz box organic unsweetened almond milk
- 1 14-oz can organic lite coconut milk
- 1 8-oz pkg organic mellow white miso
- 1 2-oz pkg arame sea vegetable
- 1 16-oz jar tahini (ground sesame seed butter)
- 1 18-oz jar organic no-salt-added sunflower seed or almond butter
- 8 oz each organic raw almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds
- 8 oz each organic un-sulfured apricots, cranberries, and raisins
- 1 8-oz squeeze bottle organic Dijon mustard
- 1 32-oz bottle organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 6-oz bottle Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 10-oz bottle reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Herbamare